Italy’s Enel SpA (BIT:ENEL) announced on Tuesday it has started construction work on a 20-MW portion of its energy storage plant in Germany.
The Cremzow storage facility, which is Enel’s first in the country, already has 2 MW/3.2 MWh operational and the expansion will bring its total capacity to 22 MW/34.8 MWh.
Scheduled to be completed by the end of December 2018, the facility is a result of a EUR-17-million (USD 19.8m) agreement between Enel Green Power Germany (EGP Germany), local wind power company Enertrag AG and Swiss energy storage solutions company Leclanche SA (SWX:LECN).
EGP Germany holds 90% of the special purpose vehicle (SPV) that owns the asset, while Enertrag has the remaining 10%. Leclanche will act as the engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contractor.
When complete, the Cremzow plant will provide frequency regulation services, help stabilise the German grid, facilitate the transition to renewable energy sources and be later integrated with Enertrag’s wind farms, Enel noted.